Friday 10 July 2009

First Impressions

I'm here!
It was a really long flight with nothing to lean on to sleep but I got here! For the second flight from Charlotte I did have window seat though and it was incredible.
As we started to come into land I couldn't see Austin at all from my window, all I could see was miles and miles of prairie and forest so to me it looked like we were going to land in a field and then the plane banked and there was Austin - a city in the middle of nowhere!
We caught a taxi to where we're staying in student halls, its nice enough though a little on the grungy side with only one kitchen to the whole block (8 floors with 2 people per room - can't imagine how busy its gonna be come august when they all start back at uni!). The rooms are air conditioned and also have a ceiling fan thankfully and it actually got pretty chilly in there last night.
We haven't unpacked properly yet but we nipped out to the nearest food place last night, shamefully a McDonalds before collapsing after what was for me more than 24 hours travelling.
Today we got up quite early to go exploring before it got too hot - the minute you step out of the air conditioning it just hits you like a blanket of hot air but the morning was pretty bearable and we caught a bus into town to hunt for blueberry pancakes with maple syrup!
Its pretty multi-cultural in Austin, a lot of asian and italian restaurants and very few normal shops that we found - we were probably looking in the wrong place mind you because the only clothes shops we found were extortionate so we're hoping we'll hook up with a nice student for the weekend to show us where to go.
Well I think thats about all for now.
Email me!
Em xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment